Saturday, March 9, 2013

5 month-iversary traveling

I just realized it's been nearly 5 months since I left for Thailand. My flight departed October 15, 2012 and it's been a wild, wonderful ride since I landed in Singapore and on to Phuket, Cambodia, and Malaysia.  To everyone who has written me emails, facebook notes, letters, and read my blog (especially my #1 reader, George), thanks for helping me keep in touch with the world back home!

Work has been a dream. I've been on a number of liveaboard trips lasting 3-6 days, and also led dives on daytrips all over the Similan and Surin Island National Marine Parks. The season is slowing down now, so I've had a few days off and can finally update this blog. Sorry for being so lazy about updating - but there's no internet at my apartment (I guess you get what you pay for, and $150/month isn't much either way), and I've been terrible at prioritizing communication with the "real world."
The M/V Camic, boat for Similan Seven Sea Club
Heading into a massive storm. Exciting!

The view on my commute home
I had to get my visa extended in Phang-nga, which is a crowded town settled in a valley of limestone cliffs. I didn't get photos of the city itself, which is pretty because of its landscape, but I did get photos of the waterfall on the way home. The hills are beautiful! It was interesting to see a different side of Thailand, where everything is about river rafting, waterfalls, and elephant trekking. I think that's actually quite common around Thailand, but I only see the diving side of tourism.









Now I'm planning my next steps after Khao Lak.  I have to go to Bangkok to get more passport pages, thereby fulfilling one of my life goals - to fill up my passport. WOO!

After that, I am planning to go to India in April to visit with +Neil Sharma, and we'll probably visit Goa, Jaipur, maybe Bangalore, and places in between. I still haven't bought my ticket so no definite plans yet, but I'll be deciding soon!  I'll try to update my blog more often as I'm adventuring, of course contingent upon good health and internet connectivity. I've been warned to eat only butter and fried food until I leave for India, since I'll probably catch some horrible illness and lost 50 pounds. Well, that gives me an excuse to eat lots of delicious Thai crispy pork...

When I come back from India, I'll travel through northern Thailand because I've still only been between Phuket and Khao Lak.  I may work a few more weeks in Khao Lak and get in a few more dives before the season is over. How quickly time flies! I still can't believe it's been almost 5 months since I left home. It feels like just yesterday, or like I've been here forever.  What a place :)

No comments:

Post a Comment